Mindful Materials: Bio-Acetate
Bio Acetate – The M49 Formula. Simply speaking, M49 formula is formed by result of cellulose acetate and a plasticizer.
Cellulose is obtained from plant source. It’s a molecule consisting of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms. Cellulose is the main substance in the walls of plant cells, allowing plants to remain stiff and upright. Cellulose is non toxic, to humans it is fibre and to other animals such as cows it can be digested. Cellulose is commonly derived from cotton or wood pulp, as these have significantly high content compared to other plants.
Plasticizers as a whole are undergoing much development, the goal is to obtain completely eco friendly plasticizers. M49 formula currently uses plasticizers derived mostly from vegetable oil. This means that the plasticizers come from almost completely sustainable sources. M49 is one of the best acetate formulas available on the market when considering the environment. The other exciting component about investing in this product is the future progression of the product. As plasticizers become more developed within laboratories they will become more and more eco friendly over time until the plasticizers are as safe as the cellulose component.
M49 currently offers the performance characteristics expected by such a material, while at the same time making the product as eco friendly as currently possible.
The main benefits include;
- More sustainably sourced materials, rather than heavy use of petrol chemicals.
- Cellulose Acetate biodegrades 150 times faster compared to other common plastics.
- It is also biodegradable in seawater.
- Hypoallergenic, therefore safe for your skin.
- High strength and flexibility characteristics promote easy adjustments and repairs.
- Within industrial composting conditions, bio-degration occurs in 115 days.
- Biodegrades within 3 years in the natural environments.
The fact that it can biodegrade at such a rate means that it does not persist in the environment as long as traditional plastics. It also lends itself to modern waste disposal procedures that further help function the use of eco plastics. Therefore it does not pose such a long term toxic and physical hazards for land and sea life.
The Daicel Groups Acetate Facts